Sunday, September 16, 2012

No Man's Land

    I doubt few men, especially those under the age of sixty, imagine they will contract a disease considered the "fate of old men".  I know I didn't.  Other than when my Dad was diagnosed at the age of 73, I very rarely discussed prostate cancer with anyone.  Occasionally the news of a celebrity and their treatment, and sometimes their death, from the disease, but often the only reminder is a flood of commercials touting drugs to "mitigate" the aftermath of it's treatment.  I began monitoring my P.S.A. levels mostly at the advisement of my father to establish a benchmark for later.  I should note here that he survived his cancer and died three years ago of natural causes at the age of 84.  I wish he were here now.  There are some things, now, I would only talk about with him.  But I can't.  When he had his cancer we spoke only of his treatment and immediate recovery efforts, and nothing else.  No side effects, survival rates, emotional trauma, or spiritual challenges.  Much less the probability of me acquiring the disease myself.
    My friends and I would occasionally talk about other cancers, such as brain, lung, or skin melanomas, etc., associated with personal behavior or work environment influences such as hazardous dust, chemicals, or massive sunlight exposure. Never prostate cancer.  Way too personal.  I know I have chuckled quietly to myself when I would see someone outdoors with a large brim hat, long sleeves, and a bottle of sunblock always at the ready.  While I know of no known connections between life outdoors and prostate cancer, the sentiment spoke mainly of the male attitude of invincibility.  Even when prostate enlargement or cancer is an eventual certainty for all men, younger men rarely give it any more thought than they would which color to paint the bathroom.
    I'm sure modern psychology could answer why this is, but right now all I am interested in are statistics... 1 in 7 men will contract prostate cancer in their lifetime...215,000 men will be diagnosed every year with p.c....30,000 men will die this year from p.c.  Thirty Thousand... Most will offer a simple, albiet misinformed, encouragement such as " good thing it's so treatable" or "thank God it's slow growing".  Thirty thousand....  Somewhere in heaven a great roar of laughter just exploded.  I'm still pissed Dan Fogelberg and Frank Zappa are gone.  Slow growing implies that you can "outrun" it. Either way, at this point, I'm just glad that I have been paying attention to my health and diet, staying in shape (relatively), and that I have invested a lot of myself in a relationship with my Creator.  I do have more than a few questions for Him, but they will have to wait.  For now.
    No one can answer WHY, and right now, I confess, it doesn't matter to me.  I only know what I know, and like the saying goes, "you can't unknow something once you know it", unless you also suffer from alzheimer's...and right now I know I have prostate cancer.  I hope my blog helps someone else, one of those 215,000 diagnosed this year, or next year, or the year after who run into the same seemingly immoveable mountain I have encountered.  I say seemingly because the challenge is overwhelming at first.  No way over, no way around, no way through.  It isn't true, but it seems that way.
    I will speak of my research, treatments, recovery, and medical progressions, as well as my HUGE gifts of family, faith, and support and how completely essential they ALL are to my success.
 Love To All... MA

No comments:

Post a Comment