Thursday, October 4, 2012

In Search Of....

    So....here comes the "health issue".  You probably expected it, as I'm sure most people (with cancer) eventually address this as they begin to evaluate the steps toward recovery.  I say eventually because I don't believe anybody, me for sure, starts off evaluating their physical status, (present and certainly not their future)...you know "how we got here, what's good, what's bad, how to change course" etc.  Speaking for myself, as I have stated previously, my initial reaction was (honestly) WTF!!!!!....  Sorry Father... I couldn't help it.  I thought I was healthy, active, peripherally conscious of my diet, and expecting a "long run" as they say.  By peripherally I mean I had a certain focus on my diet and avoided certain foods, at least excessively, in response to popularly held notions about the outcomes associated with their consumption.  Some of these items are bacon, sodas, fried foods, fast foods, margarine, alcohol, red meat.  I do eat some of these things (bacon, soda, alcohol, red meat) in measured amounts, and almost completely do without others (fried food, fast food, margarine, soda) except for occasional indulgences.  But I never knew why I chose this approach or that, how much was too much or not enough, what was really beneficial and what was really harmful.  And...why.  I was more armchair quarterback than actually being on the field.  I was, in effect, second guessing the research and suggestions put forth by the medical professions that, for the most part, were intended to improve my health...i.e. my life.  And I do say "for the most part" because I also recognize the role "big business" plays in all things and I am often a bit cynical about the motives of such organizations.  I am a capitalist, don't misunderstand me, but the "nasty little guy peering from the shadows" in today's (yesterday and tomorrow's as well) commercial world is greed.  Maximizing profits, not just being profitable...sometimes ignoring or manipulating facts just to squeeze more profit from a venture...  and often at the expense of public health, safety, ethical or moral standards. Excuses..excuses.  I admit to "diffusing" my reliance on most food related guidelines  because I somehow believed that some "one" had some "thing" to gain or profit from it.  Such as...the organic farming industry, health food markets, pharmaceutical companies, health supplement makers...you name it.  There's always money to be made.  "Follow the money" as they say and you will determine the motive.  So...with this level of cynicism operating in my decision processes, I employed a "smorgasbord" mentality in my approach to eating...and living, meaning I would pick and choose my diet items based mostly on info disseminated from advertising, not science.  I realize, now, that a lot of my opinions came from periodical articles written to "sell" an idea.  I know the writers probably meant well but they are in business and a business needs to sell or push a product.  That's why we have "fads"...the next "big" thing.  But... I don't blame them.  "A fool is born every minute" right ? And I'm the fool.  The same processes I am going through now I could have done years ago, and...probably would not be where I am right now, experiencing cancer, up close and personal.  One word says it all... laziness.  It's alot more convenient to let someone else do the research for you and then detail what you should do to be happy, healthy, better looking, smarter, faster, influential, holier...you name it. Who's got time to research all this anyway.  That's why they call "them" experts.
    There's still that one problem, motive.  Their motivation is not necessarily your good health.  At least not their first motivation.  It's making a living for themselves...and/or their stockholders.  I don't say this to dismiss their work, only to keep a perspective.  I don't build houses just to give someone a place to live.  First and foremost it's my way of making a living.  I may employ a certain integrity in what I do, I may seek a certain level of fairness for all involved, but I do it as my way of paying for myself in this world (otherwise I would be standing in a river waving a stick). The responsibilty for my life is mine.  If I want a fortune, I have to earn it (never figured that one out).  If I want honesty, I have to seek truth. If I want holiness, I have to seek what is holy...and if I desire good health, I have to seek what is healthy.  To seek, by definition, I mean to "look for", to "want", to "desire" something, and in this case, my desire is good balanced health.  This is, and always has been, my responsibility because I am the one "at stake".  I am the one who "lives" or "dies" by my choices.
    Sifting through all the available materials may seem a bit much, but it can be done.  Seek scientific materials first ( books, essays, reports, journals) that relate to the issues you have.  Note: the sex lives of the Asian silkworm may not be of interest to you.  If your interest is dietary, research that first.  It will lead you to all sorts of medical disciplines, as far into it as you wish to go.  If your interest is a specific ailment (prevention or cure) go there.  Think...the library and "Google".  It almost always comes back to food for that is the most direct way that our "environment" becomes part of us.  If our environment is pure, we will be pure.  If our environment is toxic, we will be toxic.  So on and so on.  But as you do this due diligence, you will find that our illnesses can be avoided and that the sole responsibility for this result is yours and mine.  Personal responsibilty...what a concept.  Remember this...our creation was "perfect", it's all the subsequent "remodeling" that has us looking and feeling out of sorts.
    Here are a few suggestions to get started.   Breath deep.  Being overwhelmed seems to make us anxious, which causes a level of hyperventilation.  Read and disseminate for yourself.  Through this information your heart will lead you where you need to go.  Trust this path first and foremost.  Pray, but only for wisdom and guidance.  It doesn't work to ask for His help and then ignore it.  Get some exercise.  Oxygen does wonders for the body and it's many systems and functions.  Just a note...a fantastic book to start with is "anticancer...a new way of life" by Dr. David Servan-Schrieber.
    And...a bit of good news.  As I said on Tuesday I had a bone scan as part of my preoperative processes and I received the news yesterday that it was negative for any metastical prostatic cancer in my bones.  Thanks Be To God... MA
   

No comments:

Post a Comment